Friday, March 26, 2010

Time to saddle up!

I've just learned that it's exceptionally difficult to sculpt something you've never actually seen in person. My entire morning has been spent combing the internet for pictures of these saddles. I think I need to go to Spain. Does anyone want to buy me a ticket as your artistic contribution to the world? I'll give you a free Fiore II medallion. Heck, I'll even paint it for you. That's how generous I am!

Actually, I think I finally have a clear idea of the structure of these bad boys. I've been rolling the clay out in sheets with my mini rolling pin and cutting out the layers that will make up this saddle. The rider sits on a fleece pad that actually fits on top of the saddle (Lovely idea, that. I wish I'd heard of it back when I was trying to get back to riding after breaking my tailbone.). Sculpting fleece or dirt always involves a trip to the front yard for a broken stick, which makes just the perfect texture. We'll call it an all-natural, organic, sculpting tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment