Friday, March 20, 2009

Stormwatch

Good morning!

Those of you who like to follow my work on eBay may have noticed that new offerings have been few and far between of late. Most of the reason for that is because I've been slogging my way through the last of my custom orders (I know, they are almost all late at this point. You ladies who have been waiting have been so patient with me and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. It won't be too much longer now, I promise.) and trying to keep track of the tons of orders for the new mule medallion, but also, I've been working on this in my spare moments:





Just in case he needs an introduction, this boy is Sarah Minkiewicz-Breunig's mustang sculpture, Stormwatch, and he's just about as popular as a resin can be. I really wanted to do something special for such an amazing sculpture, so he's the first Appaloosa that I've painted in a coon's age. He represents several new techniques. I've taken the roaning with Prismacolors concept that has served me so well lately and applied it to the mane, tail, and hooves. I've also had a heck of a time in the past with the mottled skin characteristic of Appaloosas looking artificial and dominating the entire face. The solution to the problem on Stormy here was lots of layer work utilizing watercolor pencils and pastels. There were a few tense moments in there (Oh my gosh, have I just ruined a $450 resin?!?!?!) but I love the end result.



Update - 4:21 pm : Stormwatch is now sold!

No comments:

Post a Comment