Monday, February 23, 2009

Now that's what I call mixed media


The bridles that these mules wear are covered in these decorative rounded rivets, as you can see in the close up at left. Now, I could have sculpted each of those separately, but that would be a lot like work. If I wanted to work, I wouldn't have chosen to be an artist right?

So instead I started looking around the house for ideas. It had been my plan to use beads (they work great for eyeballs) but everything I had was either too big or too small. I felt like Goldilocks! Finally, found the object that was just right. Those purple arrows are pointing to coriander seeds off of the spice rack.

I have a cool new sculpting tool now too. My sweet husband went to the store and brought home some new tweezers and then filed the tips down to almost a needle point so I could place the coriander with some degree of control. I know spices are an odd thing to add to a sculpture, but I have yet to actually cook with the stuff, so why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment